McDowell Trip 2006

The McDowell Trip cross country. Enjoy our trip with us as we finally make our "Western" trip.

Name:
Location: Syracuse, New York, United States

I am an Eagle Scout having been a member of the Scouting fraternity for over 30 years man and boy. Now that I have graduated from SU I am preparing to become more active in the fall. I am a lifelong member of the Presbyterian Church and I have recently become the Presbytery Resource Person for the Theological Education Fund of the Presbyterian Church USA. As part of my college training I designed websites for both my church and the local Presbytery. I have been married for 36 years to a warm, loving, special lady named Charlotte and we have two great children, Margie and Francis, and one grandchild, Alex, who all live in the Syracuse area. Francis is getting married in October and Margie is dating a great guy named Mike.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Williams, AZ / Grand Canyon

Hi All, Well we got our earliest start of the trip so far yesterday. We had good reason for this. We drove from San Diego to Williams, AZ. This leg was 492+ miles our longest day of the trip. We drove through mountains and up into the high desert regions of the southwest. The pic below was taken at a rest area in Arizona I suspect that the mountains in this pic are over 100 miles in the distance.

We arrived in Williams around 6 PM. We were expecting a time change but Arizona apparently doesn't change to daylight savings time. On the last section of the trip we ran into our first real weather so far. We drove through a nasty thunderstorm with major lightening strikes. One of them a cloud to ground strike lasted for 10 or 15 seconds. We passed a nasty accident with a semi and car in the median and a van that had rolled over. We had to slow way down several times and fight the spray from other vehicles and semi trucks.
This morning we got up and drove about 65 miles to the north to visit the Grand Canyon. It was a partly cloudy day and we saw several raindrops on the windshield as we drove up to the park. As you can see from the pic below the canyon itself is stunning and beautiful.

I know I sound like a broken record on this but it is totally impossible to really describe in words the sights we have seen over the last few weeks. And there is still more to come. The next pic is of a little wildlife that we saw at the visitor center at the park.

After we saw him we drove down to Grand Canyon Village and saw some of the park lodges. We stopped at the Maswik Lodge and got directions, had lunch, and got some souvenirs. We then spotted some Elk by the side of the road on our way to the General Store area. I grabbed the SLR camera as it was closest and got several pics from about 50 ft. away. These animals are spectacular. The General Store was very interesting and had store items as well as quite a few souvenir items.
Tomorrow we are off to Cortez, AZ and Mesa Verde NP.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI grandpa, Glad to see youand Grandma are still surviving, hahaha... Sorry I havent called all week, been really busy with final touches for college. Got to get another loan out so That wayI wont have to pay a cent till I am out of college, whoo hoo. Except I have been declined by M&T so Lets see how wachovia treats me. If THey dont I am going to go through TERI or get the unsubisized loan, which Will make me pay intersest but thats $40.00 a month compared to $245.00 a month, so Lets see what Happenes. When exactly are you guys coming home?? Everyone misses you, especially me. My graduation party sucked. BIG TIME!!! Well keep me updated!! Love ya both

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home